Week in Review
The Pitt Week in Review (July 4-10)
This week found us smack dab in the middle of the college football “dead period,” which meant the usual flood of recruiting information was reduced to a mere trickle.
Of course that doesn’t mean we were slow here at Pittsburgh Sports Now. In the last week we’ve made a whole bunch of behind-the-scenes moves, adding new business partners in Cupka’s 2 and Archie’s, confirming venues for our viewer watch parties and launching a subscriber email list (which you can sign up for here: http://eepurl.com/b9f2jX).
We will also have some more exciting site news to announce this week, so make sure you’re connected with us on Twitter and Facebook.
Now as far as Pitt news is concerned…
MONDAY (The 4th of July)
- Mike took a deep dive into Pitt’s recruiting board, breaking down the Pitt roster, position by position and postulating on where the team is still looking to add players.
- We talked to 4-star recruit Charles Reeves about Pitt, and how he’s handling the recruiting process.
- Monday Night’s Pitt Recruiting Notes had info on Kwantel Raines, Kurt Rafdal and Derrius Mullins, among others.
- The battle at WR should be fierce.
- Tim Benz looked at the plethora of experienced quarterbacks in the ACC Coastal Division.
- News about Johnny Jordan’s, Dontavius Butler’s and Jake Lichtenstein’s plans for visiting more schools led off our Tuesday Pitt Recruiting Notes.
- Three Panthers got named to the Maxwell Award Watch List.
- Alan Saunders wrote about Aamir Simms, a 4-star prospect that’s high on Kevin Stalling’s wish list.
- Rising Pitt senior Desmond Palmer looks to make the US Olympic team in the 400 meter hurdles.
- If you’re unaware, longtime Pitt blogger Reed Kohberger has launched his own site, Pitt POV. Here he takes a hard look at Pitt’s WR depth chart.
- The rosters for the Pittsburgh Pro-Am Summer League were announced.
- We talked with West Allegheny’s rising star, Kenny White.
- Dan Kingerski at Pittsburgh Post Game has a nice feature on Pitt commit Darian Street.
- Today’s U ranks the ACC’s most stable programs.
- The Post-Gazette takes a look at the Pro-Am rosters, particularly as it pertains to Duquesne.
- Pitt’s Manigault making transition to college game in summer league.
- Alan Saunders with “Five Takeaways from the PBC Pro-Am Opener“.
- Donovan Jeter announced his top 9 schools on Twitter. As expected, Pitt is on the list.
- Loganville, GA DT Ellison Hubbard could very well be the next Pitt recruit to commit to the school.
- Mike looked into his “crystal ball” for six names that he thinks will commit to Pitt.
- The Backyard Brawl is the Ringer’s most wanted dormant college football rivalry.
- Pitt had 244 student-athletes named to ACC Academic Honor Roll.
- Sheldon Jeter has no problem with new Pitt coach Kevin Stallings.
- Have all these elaborate commitment videos crossed the line into ridiculousness?
What happened to the tradition of picking one of three hats from a table? https://t.co/U8oVvkZjGf
— Lance Lysowski (@LLysowski) July 7, 2016
- Pitt basketball shooting for the moon with 5-star guard Hamidou Diallo.
- We talked with class of 2018 CB Kalon Gervin.
- In an exclusive for Pittsburgh Sport Now, CBSSports’ Rob Rang (@RobRang) gives us his thoughts on where some of the current-crop of Pitt stars will be taken in next year’s NFL Draft.
- A deep dive into Pitt’s roster, and what they still need to add by Chris Dokish at Panther’s Prey.
- Jamel Artis is adjusting to his new role in Kevin Stallings’ offense.
- Three more Panthers named to esteemed award watch lists.
Bringing in the heavy machinery for today's work at the Pete. #H2P pic.twitter.com/3hYnyRInCW
— Pitt Basketball (@Pitt_MBB) July 8, 2016
- We’re partnering with Cupka’s 2 and Archies for some Pitt Football/Basketball Watch Parties!
- Highly sought-after recruit Bruce Judson will be announcing his top 5 list very soon. Will Pitt make the cut?
- Only Russ Grimm/Chris Doleman days left until the start of Pitt Football.
- Pitt’s victory over #2 WVU in the 100th edition of the Backyard Brawl, you know the one where they ruined West Virginia’s season and prevented them from competing for the national championship, was named the 3rd biggest upset in college football in the last 25 years.
- It’s the last day for the “dead period”. Coaches can once again visit and speak with recruits.
- Ron Cook says Pitt is It among local college football teams.