If you haven’t heard, the Panthers will be playing the Villanova Wildcats at Heinz Field on Saturday. But you knew that. Besides, that’s looking forward, and the Pitt Week in Review is all about looking back. Back to what you may have missed in the past week.
But first a humble brag: we had over 100,000 page views last week. Apparently you, the readers, are happy with the coverage we’re providing here at Pittsburgh Sports Now, and we’re excited to finally being able to bring you actual game coverage and analysis. We hope you’re looking forward to it as much as we are.
- Mike took a stab at Pitt’s potential depth chart.
- Alan Saunders was at camp to bring you the sights and sounds of Pitt practice.
- Robby Carmody, maybe the top player in Western PA, visited Pitt and has liked what he’s seen from new coach Kevin Stallings.
- Check out Bill Connelly’s exhaustive 128 team college football preview.
- More notes from Carmody’s visit.
- Alan Saunders with a deep dive on Pitt’s offensive line.
- Harry Psaros broke the news that Aaron Wheeler would be visiting the Panthers in September.
- Athlon Sports ranks EVERY SINGLE QB IN THE NATION. Nathan Peterman was ranked 42nd.
- Lance Lysowski looks at Pitt’s emphasis on redzone scoring.
- Which Panthers will be drafted next spring?
- There was scuttlebutt that ESPN would be coming to town for the Pitt vs. Penn State game. Unfortunately that turned out to be not the case as the Gameday crew will be broadcasting at Bristol for the Virginia Tech/Tennessee game.
- Nice article in Sports Illustrated’s Campus Rush on James Conner.
- Jamie Dixon is still full of love for Pittsburgh.
- More Lance at DK, as he looks at two Pitt athletes who have changed positions for the 2016 season.
- Who has more poster swag: Pitt or Penn State?
- Harry Psaros broke the news about a host of basketball recruits scheduling visits to Pitt.
- Tim Benz on why Pitt can’t overlook Villanova this week.
- News from Pat Narduzzi on the health of Damar Hamlin and James Conner.
- Alan Saunders had photos and video from the day’s practice.
- Episode 2 of the Pitt Weekend Podcast featured Alan Saunders and host Dan Kingerski talking with Pine-Richland coach Eric Kasperowicz. You can listen on iTunes or Soundcloud and soon on Google Play, or whatever Android is calling its marketplace these days.
- ESPN’s official Pitt preview. It’s somewhat lacking in content.
- Kevin Stallings stopped by the fan morning show.
- More preseason honors for a trio of Panthers.
- Pitt Blather on the proposed schedule changes for the ACC.
- Bill Connelly of SBNation is back, this time with projected win totals for every single college team.
- Pitt missed out on a big-time DT from Florida.
- Mike made his prediction for Pitt’s 2016 season.
- Pitt vs. Penn State when all branded on us.
- This is pretty cool: an interactive map of every college football player’s hometown.
- Pitt POV looks at expectations for Pitt’s run game.
- Paris Ford throwing shade at Clairton and Lamont Wade.
Clairton gonna need a miracle this year 😂😂😂 they suck
— Paris Ford (@DiddyBop12_) August 27, 2016
- Alan Saunders with news on Pitt’s 2016 captains.
- Alan looked ahead to Pitt’s depth chart.
- Tony DeFazio of the Times Online looks at the ‘lost generation’ of ex-Pitt and Penn State players who never had a chance to experience the rivalry.
- Mike checked in on a bunch of Pitt’s verbal commits as they began their senior year of high school football.
- Pitt is strongly pursuing Canada’s #2 rated basketball prospect and will welcome him to campus on September 3rd.
- DT prospect Cam Goode took another visit to Pitt while he was in town with his high school team.
- The Trib’s SUPER FANCY look at Pitt Basketball: Will New Era Breed Better Results?
- We’ll end with this:
Last night, Aundre Wright, a former fb player at Pitt now PPD officer dove into neck deep water and saved a woman on Washington Blvd.
— Colin Dunlap (@colin_dunlap) August 29, 2016