Welcome to the first week of WPIAL Insider’s (@WPIAL_Insider) Student Section Power Rankings. Lots of teams sent in their nominations, and after going through them all and getting more info, I feel confident on this Top 10. Moving forward, the more creative the theme and more creative you are with signs, costumes, chants, etc., the likelier you are to get a higher ranking. We had a ridiculous amount of beach themes and USA themes, it was a little played out. Creativity is key. Nonetheless, here are your top student sections this week.
Side note: You will be given leniency for away games, but we still expect creativity and somewhat solid numbers. Ask Pine-Richland how many they had away this week.
1) Highlands: Taking the top spot in this week’s student section power rankings is a surprise pick, it’s Highlands. Anytime you honor the fallen hero, Harambe, you get mad respect in my book. The attendance was decent for a school their size, but they definitely need more to keep this #1 spot. And if you haven’t noticed, themes are worth more points than attendance in my book… That’s to keep the playing field somewhat even. Honoring our angel Harambe made the difference here. #RIPHarambe.
2) Pine-Richland: Taking the #2 spot is The Mob. They brought out great numbers to an away game in Mt Lebanon and had a USA theme. Flags, fatheads, and vuvuzelas were out and it was awesome. Their hype video was A+ as well. The Mob is the heavy favorite to win Student Section of The Year.
3) North Allegheny: Probably the biggest student section this week was North Allegheny. But that’s not exactly why they’re at the #3 spot. Huge head cut outs of their best players is absolutely awesome. And I’m not talking about one or two here, like eight! Props to them.
4) South Fayette: They had a lot to live up to form past student sections. This year’s Senior class was up to the challenge and got huge numbers for the Lions. I love the pride they have in that school. Supporting their classmate Harrison as he battles cancer is awesome as well. #HarrisonStrong.
5) Mt. Lebanon: Im not sure if their theme was USA or Power Rangers, but it was hilarious. They all dressed up in awesome outfits. Keep up the great work.
6) Seneca Valley: The Spirit was impressive, and so was the rowdiness. They held their theme as USA, and they looked great. Before the game they threw Lebron James-esque powder in red, white, and blue. Gotta love it. They had a large crowd, but I feel Seneca Valley can do better. They have a lot of potential to move up the list.
7) Upper St Clair: I loved the blackout. USC always pulls off legendary blackouts. The numbers were solid for a 5A school as well. Props to them.
8) Beaver: The first of many beach themes, the #BeaverDam had great numbers despite their school size and everyone participated. They got bonus points for their beach poster.
9) Hempfield: The sleeper pick! Great numbers and the fans went crazy. Lets keep up these numbers here attendance wise.
10) Central Valley: The #ValleyBeach theme was well executed and they had great numbers for a 3A school. Rockin’ luau skirts and leis, they truly did look the part.
On the bubble:
Trinity: Don’t underestimate the Hillers. That was sent to me before the game by the student section. The student section impressed. It was a beach theme, but they had fat heads and great numbers.
Woodland Hills: I have absolutely no clue what the theme was, but the student section was lit based off the multiple videos and snapchats I saw. I think it was a black out with paint? I’m not sure, but it was awesome. They need better numbers though.
Seton La Salle: Always got to love a beach theme. I’m not a fan of beach themes in warm weather though. Solid attendance as altogether. Well deserving to be on this list.
Neshannock: They had a white-out which looked very nice, but the numbers just weren’t there.
West Mifflin: Yet another Beach Night, the Titans had a good crowd, but in order to move up they need more creativity or bigger numbers.
West Allegheny: They were rowdy, but having an away game really hurt their numbers. I expect a major rise in the next few weeks.