Week two of the Student Section Power Rankings are here! And I must say, I was not disappointed. The team that took the #1 spot is very deserving, and there is even a new face in the Top 5. Unfortunately, Highlands, who was last week’s #1, had a terrible showing at New Castle. They dropped all the way off the list this week. Granted, it was over an hour long drive and some students still showed, the new classifications just aren’t visitor friendly sometimes. But, here’s what we all been waiting for!
- Pine Richland: The Mob continues to impress. They were deep in numbers and even made their own hype video for their student section. Hell, they even made their own snapchat filter. They continue to raise the bar for student sections. Truly remarkable. I am not able to post the full video here, but go follow their student section account to see it, trust me, you will want to. @Real_PRstudentsect is the handle.
- Seneca Valley: Hawaiian night was great and they put up great numbers, especially for an away game. They did a lot of great things to keep the fans involved, and even drenched a 4.8 student in water (with consent) to get the student section hype. Gotta love it.
- North Hills: The USA theme and the balloon release for 9/11 memorial was really great. They had a good numbers, but I’ve seen years prior where the NH student section had much more, so the bar for them is set high. They are still awesome and deserving of #3 this week.
- Ellwood City: Talk about a surprise team, Ellwood City made their mark with a rowdy student section. It unfortunately didn’t rain where they were at, so they made it rain. Also to note, somebody dressed up as Harambe. A+ effort there. They need better numbers to move up the ranking or even to keep their ranking. They were the 2nd most creative this week next to PR.
- McKeesport: The Jungle was lit! During the absolute downpour, instead of complaining about the rain, they decided to embrace it and have a party. Great numbers as well. Props to them for getting kicked out of the game for spraying an opposing cheerleader with water. I thought the prank was harmless, but it is what it is. Their student section embraced what high school football is all about.
- Central Catholic: Very deserving of a Top-5 nominee after Shaler did not have bleachers for them last week. They absolutely packed the Carnegie Mellon bleachers and even had the young goat Damar Hamlin join them. Very strong showing from Central. Their theme was a whiteout.
- North Allegheny: It was an away game and that definitely affected their attendance, but facing a rival like Central Catholic, they need to have a little bit stronger showing. However, the students that attended impressed. The face cutouts and the Harambe cutout was absolutely great. They had a USA theme for 9/11.
- Upper St Clair: They had a great USA theme, and im pretty sure they had a Panther head on a stick? Im not sure, but it was awesome.
- Norwin: The sleeper team! Norwin’s student section was awesome and deep. They made it a goal to make this list and they didn’t disappoint.
- Chartiers Valley: I absolutely love ‘Knuckfest’. They showed great numbers and a Hawaiian theme. They were also rowdy as hell. Great week altogether.
Student Sections on the bubble: Mars (so close to being 10), Hampton, Ringgold, Canon Mac, Neshannock, West Mifflin, Keystone Oaks
Remember, creativity and videos go a long way in these rankings. The number of attendance is not the only thing we look for.