1) Central Catholic (1): The Vikings continue to steam roll through the WPIAL. They just mercy-ruled Hempfield.
2) Pine-Richland (2): In probably the game of the week, Pine-Richland beat up Penn Hills pretty good. Penn Hills had their opportunities, but in the end the Tribe couldn’t stop Jordan Crawford and Pine-Richland’s ground game.
3) North Allegheny (5): NA rolled through Shaler and jumps two spots this week. I really wish they were healthy when they played Central week two. They are much better than that loss.
4) Penn Hills (3): They suffered a pretty big loss to #2 Pine-Richland but they definitely made plays. They showed they have the athletes to compete with the big dogs, they just need to finish off drives.
5) Hempfield (4): Hempfield had a reality check this Friday vs Central Catholic, but I still think they have a team that can go deep in the playoffs.
On the bubble: Seneca Valley, Bethel Park, Mt Lebanon
1) Upper St Clair (2): After a Woody High upset, USC now reigns top dog in 5A. They beat Baldwin 43-4 this week.
2) Penn Trafford (5): Penn Trafford has a very solid junior core led by Cam Laffoon, Anthony Cervone, Matt Wilkie, Tony Alcott, and Cam Suman. They will continue to progress each week and showed they are serious contenders again by beating former #1 Woodland Hills.
3) Armstrong (3): Oh, what’s this, Zane Dudek went off again? Consider nobody surprised. They smoked Gateway in the first half. Gateway made some nice halftime adjustments, but Dudek already buried them in half one.
4) West Allegheny (4): They beat a better Chartiers Valley team 14-0 this week. They really haven’t blown out anybody this year which is uncharacteristic of Bob Palko. Still, 3-0. And if I were to guess, they’ll manage to find themselves playing at Heinz Field again.
5) Woodland Hills (1): Penn Trafford threw everything they could at Woody High, and Woody High couldn’t answer. After a good looking first couple of drives, Woodland Hills stalled on offense and couldn’t get their outside zone game working that is usually a hallmark of Woodland Hills.
On the bubble: McKeesport, Kiski
1) Thomas Jefferson (1): TJ continues to roll. They’ll face a tougher test this week with Ringgold, but I’m really looking forward to the Belle Vernon game.
2) South Fayette (2): South Fayette probably has a better win than TJ when they beat Central Valley in week 0. But, I cant put them ahead of TJ, the WPIAL champs, just yet.
3) West Mifflin (3): Well, if finally happened. West Mifflin let up a touchdown. They have only given up 10 points on the year. Just how serious are they this year though? We will find out in a few weeks when they play Ringgold.
4) Belle Vernon (5): The Leopards are slowly climbing up the rankings each week. I’m looking forward to this Thomas Jefferson showdown in week seven.
5) New Castle (5): That win vs Highlands isn’t looking that great anymore after Highlands got upset by Knoch. Nonetheless, they can’t drop out this week after beating Ambridge 54-0.
On the bubble: Mars, Ringgold
1) Beaver (1): The Darius Wise show continues. Beaver continues to hold the top spot in 3A. Quaker Valley played pretty well with them though.
2) Central Valley (3): After dismantling of North Catholic and Aliquippa looking shaky, the Warriors jump to the #2 spot.
3) Aliquippa (2): Something is going on with the Quips after that Beaver Falls game, and its not good. They battled Freeport this week, a team they usually should steam roll. They drop to the three spot because of it.
4) Keystone Oaks (NR): Still undefeated, and with Duquesne recruit Alex Smith at the helm, they can go far.
5) Derry (NR): Making their first appearance on the Power Rankings is Derry. Beaver Falls dropped out after Aliquippa’s questionable play the last few weeks, and Derry continues to look legit. This is well deserved.
On the bubble: Beaver Falls, Quaker Valley, Hopewell, Mt Pleasant
Dropped from Ranking: Quaker Valley, Beaver Falls
1) Steel Valley (1): Another week, another mercy rule. Steel Valley is without a doubt the top team in 2A.
2) Wash High (2): The Prexies are giving up just under five points a game. That’s some serious defense.
3) Neshannock (3): The bounced back after a loss to Quaker Valley. Their game vs East Allegheny could very well be the game of the week this week.
4) East Allegheny (4): TJ Banks and co are rolling right now. We’ll see just how legit they are as they face Neshannock this week.
5) Chartiers-Houston (NR): Char-Houston makes their first appearance.
Dropped from Ranking: North Catholic
1) Clairton (1): The C almost put up 100 on Greensburg Central. It was 84-0. 84-0. EIGHTY-FOUR TO ZERO.
2) Jeannette (2): A big 56-0 win over Riverview this week has the Jayhawks at a steady #2.
3) Rochester (3): Rochester continues to win and win impressively. They took down former #3 Sto Rox by 27 this week.
4) Fort Cherry (4): They’ve been playing some close games, but they keep on winning. Fort Cherry moves up to #4 this week.
5) Northgate (5): They’re sitting at 3-0, but they have a tough Sto Rox team at Sto Rox.
On the bubble: Sto Rox
Dropped from ranking: Sto Rox, Mapletown, Western Beaver