- Central Catholic: The Vikings rolled through Butler this week and really do not have any opponents left on the schedule that can dethrone them from the #1 position.
- North Allegheny: In a must-win game for Penn Hills, NA closed out the Indians 28-21. They have a solid #2 spot.
- Seneca Valley: The Raiders are coming on strong late in the year. Their matchup this week with #2 NA will probably determine their playoff seed.
- Bethel Park: Bethel lost to Seneca Valley in a close game, and it seems as though it’ll be up to them and Mt Lebanon to take the #1 seed in the Southeastern Conference.
- Pine-Richland: Their loss to Peter’s Township was a tough one to watch for them as they prepare for life post-Jurkovec this season. They have Shaler this week which should be a lay-up win, but we will see. This 5-spot is very interchangeable right now. A lot of teams in 6A are battling for a playoff spot this close to the end of the season.
- West Allegheny: West A downed former #2 Upper St. Clair this week and look to be the clear-cut #1 team in 5A. After them, it gets a little bit interesting.
- Woodland Hills: They lost to Penn Trafford earlier in the year, but Woody High continues to bounce back and dominate. With 5A being so wide open right now from #2 on down, Woody High is the team most deserving of the #2 spot.
- Armstrong: I know I bring him up every week here, but Zane Dudek is the realest player in the WPIAL next to Lamont Wade and Paris Ford. He literally broke the WPIAL single-game rushing record and single-season rushing record this year.
- USC: Without star player Thomas Vissman, USC’s offense has been struggling. It is rumored he will be coming back this year. Their defense still looks solid, but offense looks so out-of-sync.
- Gateway: Take away the first half of the Armstrong game, and gateway is the hottest team in the last month. It looks as though they are starting to click and it could be scary for other 5A teams. This is their first appearance on the Power Rankings.
Dropped Out: Penn Trafford
On the Bubble: McKeesport, Franklin Regional
- Thomas Jefferson: I really thought Mars would make this game semi-close. I was wrong. TJ showed a lot this week. They have a big matchup with Belle Vernon this week.
- South Fayette: South Fayette took it to New Castle this week. Their offense has been as potent as TJ’s, but they’ve been putting up some points. That W against Central Valley earlier in the year looks better every week CV continues to dominate.
- West Mifflin: They allowed 21 points this week against Laurel Highlands but they won 62-21, who knows how many points were let up while their JV team was in.
- Belle Vernon: It was closer than expected vs Trinity, and it very well could’ve been because some players were looking ahead to this week vs Thomas Jefferson. We will see how the Big Nine conference can shake out with the big game this week.
- Mars: Despite losing to Thomas Jefferson handedly this week, I honestly cant justify putting another team in this 5-spot.
- Central Valley: After mercy-ruling Hopewell, its clear they are the top dog in 3A with their only loss coming to a 4A team, and the #2 4A team at that. They have two big games in Beaver Falls and Aliquippa the next two weeks.
- Beaver: They took it to Ellwood City this Saturday, and they’re a solid #2 in class 3A.
- Derry: Derry is still the only undefeated team in 3A. They play with heart and passion. They had a huge conference win vs Mt Pleasant.
- Keystone Oaks: Alex Smith and co continue to roll. They have a big game vs Apollo Ridge this Friday.
- Apollo Ridge: Since the return of Duane Brown, AR has been rolling. With Aliquippa’s loss this week, Apollo Ridge jumps in the rankings for the first time.
Dropped out: Aliquippa
On the Bubble: Aliquippa, Beaver Falls
- Steel Valley: Another week another blowout. The ironmen stay on top.
- Washington: After going down two scores early in the game, Wash High bounced back to roll.
- Neshannock: They struggled with Riverside a little bit but they got the dub.
- Chartiers-Housotn: It was another one-score game that Char-Houston came out on top of. That will come in handy come playoff time.
- East Allegheny: It was a close one but they beat Avonworth 13-2. They have a hot date with Steel Valley this week.
- Clairton: The Bears mercy-ruled 3A’s Aliquippa. What a game by Lamont Wade and Noah Hamlin. The Bears proved that they would probably win most classifications despite being the second smallest school in the WPIAL.
- Jeannette: Lost in all of the Clairton hype is Jeannette who has been absolutely dominating every team they’ve faced.
- Rochester: Still undefeated, and I don’t expect them to lose throughout the regular season.
- Northgate: After a loss last week to Rochester, they bounced back and beat up Monessen pretty good this week 34-6.
- Fort Cherry: They blew out Avella and that interior is much better than you would expect. They might be able to handle teams in the playoffs and make a deep run.
On the bubble: Carmichaels