1) Central Catholic: Central dominated Norwin and is rolling into the playoffs. They have a date with Penn Hills this Friday in PH’s last game of the season. I’m hoping to see Penn Hills leave their all out there.
2) North Allegheny: Riding a 6-game win streak against rival Pine-Richland. I’m sure PR is going to give NA everything they can handle.
3) Bethel Park: Looking to get the 1-seed from the Southeastern Conference, Bethel has a conference championship game against Mt. Lebanon this week.
4) Seneca Valley: Seneca rolled through Shaler and has Altoona this week. They should be resting some guys for the playoffs.
5) Mt. Lebanon: With Pine-Richland struggling post-Jurkovec, Lebo makes an appearance on the list for the first time in almost two months. Don’t be surprised if they upset Bethel Park this week.
1) West Allegheny: Did anybody see West A mercy-rule Woody High? Coach Palko has a powerhouse in 5A. They have their eyes on a championship. Kenny White and Brandon Lipford look like the real deal.
2) Armstrong: Armstrong has one lone hiccup against Franklin Regional. Zane Dudek and company are rolling and will be a force in the playoffs.
3) McKeesport: It took the Tigers over a month and a half to get back on the power rankings and they’re now up to #3. I would love nothing more than for them to get another crack at Armstrong.
4) Franklin Regional: Franklin Regional dropped their first two games and haven’t lost since. They have a huge game with Gateway this week but I like the Panthers.
5) Upper St Clair: They struggled for the three weeks Thomas Vissman was out but luckily for the Panthers he is back and ready for the playoffs. Their game against Woody High this week will prove a lot for both teams.
1. Thomas Jefferson: TJ has got to be the favorite in 4A the way they are dominating their competition.
2. South Fayette: I like the Lions this year, but do they have enough firepower to keep up with the Jags?
3. Mars: Sitting at 7-2 with losses to the top two teams. The Fighting Planets look great this year.
4. West Mifflin: The Titans just beat Belle Vernon and have a conference championship game with the Jaguars this week. Anything can happen in this rivalry.
5. Belle Vernon: They have two straight L’s but I just cant seem to justify dropping them from this list with other teams significantly worse than the Leopards.
1. Beaver: I don’t even know what to do in 3A. It’s possible Beaver doesn’t make the playoffs if they lose to their rival Beaver Falls. I’m hoping the Beaver Valley conference gets four teams in the playoffs but it doesn’t look likely.
2. Derry: If there is one thing for sure in 3A, it’s Derry winning ball games. Still the only undefeated team in the class.
3. Aliquippa: WHO COUNTED OUT THE QUIPS?! With their playoff spot locked up I doubt the Quips will relax this week, but they proved a lot beating Central Valley.
4. Beaver Falls: The Tigers are peaking at the right time. They very well could take 3A. Or, not get in at all…
5. Keystone Oaks: KO looks great this late in the season.
- Steel Valley: Steel Valley’s varsity D has yet to allow a point this year. Enough said.
- Wash High: Looking to stay undefeated, Wash High closes out their regular season with Beth Center this week.
- Neshannock: One lone loss to Quaker Valley earlier in the year is the only blemish on the schedule. They close out with Mohawk this week.
- Riverside: They played up against Ellwood City and won, though it was to a winless team. It’s deserving they move up in the rankings this week. Lets keep it interesting.
- Char-Houston: Two straight losses drops Char-Houston but I still believe they’re are a top 5 team in this class.
1. Clairton: The Bears take on Jeannette in the second biggest game of their season (they mercy’d Aliquippa in their biggest). The conference championship is on the line.
2. Jeannette: Time for Gio Von Sanders to be great. He has a date with destiny. Can the Jayhawks upset the Lamont Wade-lead Bears and take the conference?
3. Rochester: They’re quietly undefeated this year and will end up with a 2-seed in 1A.
4. Northgate: One lone loss to Rochester. Northgate has a playoff run in them.
5. Carmichaels: I was on the Fort Cherry bandwagon in the Tri County South Conference. Carmichaels won it last week beating them 16-7. Props to them.