With some teams not participating in “Week 0” games this week is the official start of the WPIAL high school season.
This weekend, Pittsburgh Sports Now will have Beaver Falls at Aliquippa and South Side at New Brighton as our two feature games. Aliquippa is coming off of an impressive shutout of New Castle, while this will be the season opener for Beaver Falls. The last two weekends, the Tigers have held scrimmages against Mars and Riverside.
Tomorrow on PSN, our Scott Elliott will have a feature on the great tradition of the Aliquippa/Beaver Falls game and will follow that up with a preview on Friday. Remember, this game will take place on Saturday this weekend not Friday. One quick note concerning this game, Aliquippa star defensive back Kwantel Raines missed the season opener with an injury but we’re told he’s expected to play this weekend.
In our other game, New Brighton will be looking to rebound after dropping the opener against Beaver. South Side opened the season on Saturday and held on to beat OLSH, 28-21. PSN’s Rich Donahue will visit with both schools this week and have a preview on Thursday.
Other Beaver County games this weekend:
- Ambridge will host Highlands: Can the Bridgers pick up their first win in nearly two years?
- Beaver hosts Freedom as both teams look to remain undefeated. Can Freedom stop Beaver’s high-powered offense?
- Blackhawk will play their season opener hosting Knoch
- Central Valley will go on the road to Ellwood City and try to rebound from a disappointing Week One effort against South Fayette. This will be the first game of 2017 for Ellwood City.
- Hopewell will once again play at Tony Dorsett Stadium this time taking on Burrell. Last Friday, they lost a defensive struggle to Freedom, 7-3. The Vikings will be looking to score their first TD of 2017.
- Can Moon start the season 2-0? Following Friday’s impressive win over Ambridge, the Tigers make the long trip to Armstrong.
- Quaker Valley gets a second consecutive home game as they host McGuffey. This past Friday, they rolled past Cardinal Wuerl North Catholic. Quaker Valley quarterback Ricky Guss was the PSN Beaver County Player of the Week following his 6 touchdown performance.
- The always dangerous Rochester Rams are on the road this Friday as they travel to Shenango.
- Bob Palko’s West Allegheny Indians open up the season Friday night at Fox Chapel.