A ton of big matchups this past Friday on the WPIAL football schedule and some results that no doubt impact our weekly rankings.
As they do every Sunday morning, our partners, WPIAL Sportsmen, release their latest WPIAL and City League rankings.
Following this weekends games, here’s their latest rankings heading into Week 3 of the season.
1) Central Catholic- Come from behind thriller against Pine-Richland. The Vikes continue to roll!
2) Mt. Lebanon– Another impressive, dominant performance this time running through Peters Township like a hot knife going thru butter.
3) Seneca Valley– A business like performance in beating previously undefeated North Hills.
4) North Allegheny– A bounce back win for Art Walker’s team against Mentor, Ohio behind a strong running game and a strong defense.
5) Canon-MacMillan– A nice come from behind win against Bethel Park.
1) Moon– A solid performance in shutting out Woodland Hills, 15-0. This showed that they can play big-time defense.
2) Gateway– An impressive bounce back win against Penn Hills. They made it look easy and served notice they will be a problem in 5A the rest of the season.
3) Pine-Richland– Another tough loss to a 6A team. They are 0-3 against 6A and we still think they are one of the favorites to win a state title in 5A.
4) South Fayette– Couldn’t compete with TJ on the interior and got pounded. They won’t see another team like TJ all season so keep an eye on the Lions.
5) Penn-Trafford– Ran into Devin Whitlock and Belle Vernon and it got ugly but this team still has a lot of potential.
DROPPED OUT: Peters Township
1) Thomas Jefferson– Dominant performance against a really good South Fayette team. TJ basically made it look easy because they have the dudes up front.
2) McKeesport– The PORT continues to roll behind a strong running game and a physical defense. The same recipe year after year.
3) Belle Vernon– Ran right through Penn-Trafford with big plays from Devin Whitlock.
4) Laurel Highlands– Superman and the gang continues to look impressive.
5) Aliquippa– Lost to a loaded Central Valley team. It had nothing to do with coaching and more to do with poor execution.
1) Central Valley– Went to the PITT and handled Aliquippa behind a dominant performance from Landon Alexander.
2) North Catholic- Tough 18-17 win against 4A Blackhawk. A team that is tested in the regular season and will be ready for the playoffs.
3) Avonworth– Got past Freeport, 21-17 with a dominant performance from their defense.
4) Southmoreland– This team looks good on FILM. The only loss is to 4A Laurel Highlands in a close game. Keep an eye on this team.
5) Keystone Oaks– Coming off a tough 1-point loss to 5A Chartiers Valley.
1) Sto-Rox– Steamrolled McGuffey 36-0. Next up is Avonworth, the #3 team in 3A. This should be a good test.
2) Serra Catholic- Hammered Imani, 56-8. Next up is Seton-LaSalle.
3) Washington- Another blowout win, 43-19 over Clairton, the only team we thought could give them a half decent game on their schedule.
4) Laurel- A 36-6 win over Ambridge. They have a big game this week against Beaver Falls.
5) Neshannock– An impressive 40-6 win over Union. Next up: Mohawk.
1) Bishop Canevin– Solid performance and victory against Northgate, 27-8. If this team is as good as we think, we will find out over the next four weeks. The schedule gets real serious. Next up: Springdale.
2) Rochester- Beat up Mohawk, 34-3. This team has a lot of explosive talent.
3) Greensburg C.C.– Beat up Apollo Ridge, 33-7. This team is going to be a force in 1A.
4) California– Handled Waynesburg Central, 49-7.
5) Springdale– Another big win, 40-14 over Summit. They are now set for a showdown this week against No. 1 Bishop Canevin.
1) Westinghouse- Beat up Brashear badly, 35-0. Their schedule is setup for them to cruise the rest of the way and to keep everyone healthy for a deep playoff run.
2) Perry– Lost to Southmoreland, 35-20. Next up- UPREP.
3) Allderdice– Lost to Altoona, 28-20.
4) Brashear– Got handled again, this time by a very, strong Westinghouse team. Brashear 0-3 and next game against a decent Erie team.
5) USO– A 34-0 loss to Steubenville, Ohio.
6) Carrick- Loss to Uniontown, 41-0.z
WPIAL TOP 10 Teams:
1) Central Catholic
2) Mt. Lebanon
3) Thomas Jefferson
6) Seneca Valley
8) Central Valley
9) North Allegheny
DROPPED OUT: Penn-Trafford and South Fayette