Connect with us
PSN is sponsored by Beaver County Auto

Pitt Football

Pitt CB Damarri Mathis to Skip Peach Bowl, Enter 2022 NFL Draft

Published

on

Pitt cornerback Damarri Mathis will leave Pitt to begin his preparations for the 2022 NFL Draft, he announced on Friday.

That means that Mathis will not play in the 2021 Peach Bowl against Michigan State and will also forgo his final season of collegiate eligibility.

“I would like to thank God, for every moment that got me to this point. I want to thank the coaching staff for giving me the opportunity to play for this great program. To everyone at the University of Pittsburgh, I will never forget all the memories and relationships that I built in this city.”

“With that being said, after many prayers and family discussions, I have decided to forgo the upcoming Bowl game so I can begin my focus on training and preparing for the 2022 NFL Draft.”

“It’s time for this to become my reality. Thank you Panther Nation! H2P #BIG21”

Mathis missed the entire 2020 season due to a preseason injury, but returned to start in all 13 games for the Panthers in 2021. He finished second on the team with two interceptions, tied for second with six pass breakups and was seventh with 44 tackles.

In his four playing seasons with the Panthers, Mathis finished with 87 tackles, 4.5 tackles for loss, five interceptions and 22 passes defended.

A consensus three-star recruit out of Lakeland, Florida in Pitt’s Class of 2017, Mathis made an immediate impact as a freshman in 2017, serving as a key rotational backup. He continued that role in 2018, sharing time with fellow youngster Jason Pinnock. In 2019, Mathis broke through into a starting role alongside future NFL cornerback Dane Jackson.

Without Mathis available in the Peach Bowl, Pitt will turn to a combination of M.J. Devonshire and A.J. Woods to play the boundary cornerback position opposite Marquis Williams.

Mathis is one of four Pitt players, along with quarterback Kenny Pickett, long snapper Cal Adomitis and left tackle Carter Warren, to be invited to play in the 2022 Senior Bowl.

His departure puts Pitt at 89 scholarships for the 2022 season, four over the maximum.

Sandy Schall, Coldwell Banker
10 Comments
Notify of
guest
10 Comments
Oldest
Newest Most Voted
Inline Feedbacks
Eli
Eli
9 months ago

He seems like a guy who should have stuck around for another year. I thought he was better two years ago before he got hurt than he was this past year. Best of luck to him, though.

James from Florida
James from Florida
9 months ago

He is a solid player but he is projecting to go very late, probably in round 5/6 and I don’t think Kiper has him listed in his top 15 corners.

Best of luck to him.

Let's Believe
Let's Believe
9 months ago

If Avonte Maddox can have success in the NFL, so can Mathis.

Let's Believe
Let's Believe
9 months ago
Reply to  Let's Believe

If Dane Jackson and Pinnock are good enough to play in the league, so is Mathis. With all due respect, the only time I ever saw Pinnock is when he was chasing a WR into the end zone. Add in Hamlin, Pitt is starting to put out some secondary talent in the NFL. Mathis is a ball hawk. He will do well. And don’t forget about Ford too, oh wait, Lol, oops…

Section 122
Section 122
9 months ago

7th rd or UFA

Bad decision

Jim_99
Jim_99
9 months ago
Reply to  Section 122

Narduzzi was most likely telling him “It’s okay, I’m your friend”. These kids are coddled to the max. Can you imagine Marino, Dorsett, and Plunkett doing this?

Mdtkd
Mdtkd
9 months ago

I hope he got good advice and that he is drafted. It doesn’t seem like he is a lock, but i assume they know more than me.

Section 122
Section 122
9 months ago
Reply to  Mdtkd

Hopefully, the advice was from different people than Paris Ford and Jaylen Twyman listened to. Those guys got sold the Emporer’s New Clothes.

Jim_99
Jim_99
9 months ago

Give the brats what they want. First, the BCS, and now the molly coddling of this pathetic generation of selfish children. College football is at its worst, and the coddling continues – What a joke!

Mark Recker
Mark Recker
9 months ago
Reply to  Jim_99

Take your pills & go lay down for a while Pap.

Dukes

Get PSN in your inbox!

Enter your email and get all of our posts delivered straight to your inbox.

Like Pittsburgh Sports Now on Facebook!
Send this to a friend