Following tonight’s primetime matchup between LSU and Florida State, the first official week of college football for 2022 is in the books.
The weekend was filled with down to the wire matchups, including No. 17 Pitt’s 38-31 win over West Virginia.
Exciting matchups and upsets this week included Penn State over Purdue 35-31, Indiana over Illinois 23-20, Rutgers over Boston College 22-21, North Carolina squeaking by Appalachian State 63-31, No. 13 NC State just getting by East Carolina 21-20, No. 19 Arkansas over No. 23 Cincinnati 31-24, No. 24 Houston besting UTSA in triple overtime 37-35, No. 3 Georgia blasting No. 11 Oregon 49-3, and No. 2 Ohio State outlasting No. 5 Notre Dame, 21-10.
Starting today and on every Sunday this college football season, I will be posting my own Top 25 rankings and we’ll see where they stack up against the other national outlets. My rankings will be based on what I see on the field combined with the competition teams have played.
As always, I encourage your comments on these rankings and what you think I got right and what I messed up.
VUK’S TOP 25 COLLEGE FOOTBALL RANKINGS (WEEK ONE):
- Alabama- Until someone beats them, they’re the most talented team.
- Ohio State- The Buckeyes didn’t dominate like the oddsmakers thought but opened up against a talented Notre Dame team and won. This offense will get a lot better.
- Georgia- The defending champions will be the biggest test for No. 1 Alabama. Surprised that they dismantled Oregon.
- Notre Dame- Despite losing, impressed with the Irish going on the road and competing with Ohio State for 4 quarters.
- Clemson- I’m not that comfortable ranking Clemson this high because of concerns at quarterback but the defense is really good.
- Texas A&M
- Oklahoma State
- Miami, Fla.
- Michigan State
- Wake Forest
- NC State
- Ole Miss