Connect with us

Dambrot/Duquesne Has Plenty of Options

Home Forums Duquesne Discussion Dambrot/Duquesne Has Plenty of Options

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Mike Vukovcan
    Keymaster

We’ve gone into this year knowing that unlike last year, Keith Dambrot was going to have a long bench and plenty of rotation options.

If he didn’t like what he was seeing from a player, needed a spark or had a favorable match-up, he would have plenty of players to look to make adjustments.

Last night vs. Illinois/Chicago that was very evident and he might have more legitimate options than we knew about. Dambrot used 12 players, 3 of which were making their college debuts (Lamar Norman, Amari Kelly and Gavin Bizeau).

While the team struggled and trailed by double-digits in the 1st half, Dambrot seemed to be shuttling players in at every stop of play in hopes of finding a group that would give him consistent minutes.

In the second half, his team shot better (51.2%) and he met a lot more with the players that were hot.

It’s only 2 games and I don’t want to overreact BUT Duquesne looks like they’ve got a lot of really good young talent, especially at the guard position.

As you’ve probably been reading about, Sincere Carry is legit. As I was watching the game with PSN’s Doug Biega, we both commented early in the 1st half that he doesn’t look at all like a freshman. His body frame, his maturity decision making and the way he sees things on the court, makes you think he’s a senior. Last night, he looked as though he could drive to the hoop anytime he choose to do so. IT”S EARLY BUT, it looks like Dambrot brought in a real special player.

Carry wasn’t the only guard that stood out to me. Norman, another true freshman, was called upon heavily in the 2nd half and delivered as he drained three important 3-pointers and finished with 11 points. After the game, Dambrot called Norman the best athlete on Duquesne’s roster. He has the looks of someone that can be very effective coming off the bench and providing instant offense.

Freshman guard Brandon Wade also looked impressive. Like Carry, he also looks so mature and a floor general. He will be a nice compliment to Carry at the point as well as playing some at the two spot. One thing that really impressed me about Wade and also Tavian Martin-Dunn was the tenacious man-man defense they play. They don’t take any defensive possessions off and constantly hound the guys they’re guarding.

The combination of Carry, Mike Lewis, Lamar Norman, Brandon Wade, Tavian Dunn-Martin and Frankie Hughes will provide Duquesne will really strong guard play maybe as strong as any team in the A-10.

The only issue I see is getting guys enough minutes, substituting too much and deciding on who’s going to be on the court at crunch time.

When’s the last time having too much talent has been a problem at Duquesne?

LOL, that’s the positive impact of Keith Dambrot.

Norman Catalano
    Participant

This is a very promising start for the Dukes. But as Coach Dambrot said, he didn’t come to Duquesne to finish 11th. This team is so young – all freshman and sophs, except for Mike Lewis, that their ceiling is pretty high. It would not surprise me if they challenge for the conference championship in the next year or so, just like Coach wants!

Mike Vukovcan
    Keymaster

Thanks for the feedback Norman. I agree the immediate and long-term future for Duquesne hoops is as promising as it’s been in a long, long, long time. With the guards and wing players they currently have, if they can get any sort of positive production for the 4 and 5’s, look out.

ajntrw
    Participant

Should make for a good City Game as both Pitt and Duquesne resurrect their programs!

H2P!

DJ Lotion
    Participant

We are set at the #1 & #2. This team would be at its best with Eric Williams at the #3. However, we are very weak at the #4 so we need to slide Williams there and go with a “mix and match” at the #3 with F Hughes, etc. We will be fine with Williams guarding the #4 against many of the teams on our schedule but him playing the #4 against top tier A-10 teams or elite teams is a problem. If Dambrot can land a top tier #4 (or develop one from the current crop of Bizzeau, Weathers, etc), this team is definitely built for an A-10 title run within a couple years.

Mike Vukovcan
    Keymaster

You’re exactly right DJ. I believe they’re one scoring big-man away from having a really good roster. Having Carry, Norman and Williams at 1 thru 3 for the next 3 years is a great start. I know that Dambrot really likes both Austin Rotroff and Gavin Bizeau, who are skilled and have length. He’s also told me that Amari Kelly has the talent to be really good. The one name that many are forgetting about is James Ellis from Westinghouse. Ellis is 6’11” and could be the final piece to this puzzle. I’m told by coaches that sitting out this year will help Ellis in the weight room, the classroom and could allow him to be a force at Duquesne. Remember that name.

DJ Lotion
    Participant

I agree on Ellis. I am hearing he may be the best of the bigs before it is all said and done. It may be time to go with another “big” at the #4 with Rotroff or Gavin. Coach D has definitely utilized Rotroff at the #4 a lot more the last 2 games so maybe he is warming up to that lineup a little more. It certainly makes the Dukes much bigger in the frontcourt than when using Weathers or EWill at the #4. A lot of possible combinations and it may just be a mix and match all season unless someone emerges and takes control at the #4 spot. With the A-10 being down this year, the Dukes should still finish in the top 4-6 even with the question mark at the #4. But if they can solve that problem, it moves them into a champsionship contending team.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Recent Replies

Recent Topics

Forums

Like Pittsburgh Sports Now on Facebook!
Send this to a friend