A day after losing the ACC Championship Game to the No. 2 ranked Clemson Tigers, the Pitt Panthers have officially accepted an invitation to the 2018 Hyundai Sun Bowl where they’ll take on the Stanford Cardinal on December 31st.
The Panthers, who won the ACC Coastal Division with a 6-2 record (7-6 overall) had the opportunity to play for an automatic New Year’s Day bowl bid, but fell short after losing to Clemson.
Stanford finished 8-4 (6-3 in the Pac-12) but had a disappointing season overall as Heisman Trophy runner-up Bryce Love dealt with nagging injuries all year.
Pitt is 2-1 all time, beating Kansas in 1975 and Texas A&M in 1989. The one loss came in the “memorable” 2008 edition, which saw a ranked 9-3 Panther team lose 3-0 to No. 24 Oregon State in one of the lowest scoring bowl games of all time.
The Panthers last played the Cardinal in 1932, as the Jock Sutherland lead Pitt squad won 7-0. The two teams also met in 1928, with Stanford winning 7-6 and in 1922, which saw Pitt win 16-7. Those games will probably not have any bearing on this year’s matchup.
The Sun Bowl is considered a tier 1 bowl. It is the second-oldest bowl game in the country — after the Rose Bowl — and features teams from the ACC and the Pac-12.
Other ACC-related bowl games
- Taxslayer Bowl: NC State vs. Texas A&M
- Miltary Bowl: Virginia Tech vs. Cincinnati
- Belk: South Carolina vs. Virginia
- Camping World: Syracuse vs. West Virginia
- Pinstripe: Miami vs. Wisconsin
- Independence: Duke vs. Temple
- First Responder: Boston College vs. Boise State
- Quick Lane: Georgia Tech vs. Minnesota
- Birmingham: Wake Forest vs. Memphis