Connect with us


Roundup: Aliquippa, Union Advance to State Finals




Allentown Central Catholic got on the scoreboard first with a field goal and trailed only 6-3 at the end of the first quarter, but it was all Aliquippa after that, as the Quips rolled the Vikings, 31-10, to earn a place in the PIAA Class-4A championship game against Bishop McDevitt out of Harrisburg. Quentin Goode started the rout by finding John Tracy for a screen pass that went 56 yards for a touchdown with 9:18 left in the 2nd quarter. Donovan Walker followed with an interception and returned it 17 yards to the Quips’ 35-yard line. Tracy found pay dirt again on a 6-yard touchdown run to put Aliquippa up 18-3. The Quips missed their first two PAT attempts and failed on a two-point conversion.

On the ensuing drive, Brandon Banks picked off another pass for the Quips. Banks then caught a 28-yard touchdown pass from Goode to enhance Aliquippa’s lead to 24-3, which ended up being the score at halftime. Cameron Lindsey caught a screen pass from Goode for a 35-yard touchdown in the third quarter to put the game away.

A good amount of Aliquippa fans made the 2.5-hour trip to Bald Eagle High School in Bellefonte. The Quips showdown with Bishop McDevitt for the state title will take place on Thursday night at Cumberland Valley High School. Bishop McDevitt shutout Crestwood, 35-0, to advance to the final.

Union defeated Port Allegany, 46-36, to punch its ticket to the PIAA Class-1A championship game against Steelton-Highspire. The final score really doesn’t tell the whole story of the game, as Port Allegany scored a couple of garbage time touchdowns. The Scotties were down 6-0 at the end of the first quarter, but scored 20 unanswered points in the second quarter. After tying the game at 6-6, Matt Stanley ripped off a 32-yard touchdown run. Kaden Fisher then followed with a 32-yard touchdown pass to Dayne Johnke to put the Scotties up 20-6 at halftime. Fisher’s touchdown pass to Johnke occurred on the final play of the first half.

Midway through the third quarter, Braylon Thomas connected to Maddox Thompson for a 21-yard touchdown to increase the Scotties lead to 28-6. Port Allegany answered with a Payton Stiles 5-yard touchdown run. However, on Port Allegany’s next drive, Fisher made another impact play by returning a fumble 63 yards for a touchdown to put Union up 34-14 with 8:37 left to play. Marcus Gunn then had a 38 yard touchdown run after Port Allegany fumbled the kickoff, which sealed the win for the Scotties.

Union’s meeting with Steelton-Highspire will take place on Thursday at 1 p.m. from Cumberland Valley High School. Steelton-Highspire defeated Canton, 28-21, to advance to the state final.

Sandy Schall, Coldwell Banker
Click to comment
Notify of
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments

Get PSN in your inbox!

Enter your email and get all of our posts delivered straight to your inbox.

Like Pittsburgh Sports Now on Facebook!
Send this to a friend