If you’re wondering where the “Pitt Week in Review” feature went, it’s been replaced by this until the end of the college football season. If you really want to catch up on the last week of Pitt news, we suggest you just read the last week of columns here on Pittsburgh Sports Now.
THE BIG LEAD:
Pitt avoids a potential trap game and defeats Villanova 28-7 in their home opener.
- CBS: Conner stars in return from cancer
- ESPN: James Conner returns to football field, scores twice
- VU Hoops: ‘Cats are overpowered by the Panthers
THE RETURN OF CONNER:
James Conner in his first game back: scores two touchdowns, makes grown men cry. (Also makes ESPN as their AT&T ‘Best of the Best’ from last week).
James Conner TD. Something is in my eye. ????
— Chris Dokish (@ChrisDokish) September 3, 2016
TOUCHDOWN JAMES CONNOR
Weird I'm cutting onions right when this happened
— Jos A Banks (@theJoshBanks) September 3, 2016
— Pitt Football (@Pitt_FB) September 3, 2016
Beat cancer ✅ Score 1st TD of season ✅ Remind everyone you're a great RB and why they love CFB ✅ Welcome Ba… https://t.co/EgI2Mkm7it
— Josh Zimmer (@JZimmer_Sports) September 3, 2016
What a moment.
James Conner, in his first game since beating cancer, rushes for Pitt's first touchdown of the season.
— SportsCenter (@SportsCenter) September 3, 2016
Pitt alumni and football players across the country tweet their congratulations. (And Ellen DeGeneres).
— Larry Fitzgerald (@LarryFitzgerald) September 3, 2016
— Cam Heyward (@CamHeyward) September 3, 2016
@JamesConner_ he's back proud of you bro true inspiration.
— Todd Gurley II (@TG3II) September 3, 2016
. @JamesConner_ was on my show when he was fighting cancer. Today he scored a touchdown in his first game back. ❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️
— Ellen DeGeneres (@TheEllenShow) September 3, 2016
- Dejan Kovacevic: Conner just a football player once again
- Joe Starkey: Conner’s amazing return
- Chris Mueller: Return to competition cements Conner’s victory
- USA Today: Cancer-free James Conner takes field in powerful moment
KEYS TO THE GAME:
- PG: Henderson provides spark for Pitt’s special teams unit
- Cardiac Hill: The turning point: Henderson’s return
- Jerry DiPaola: Orndoff comes up big in passing game
It’s all anyone has talked since the schedule was announced and next week the Penn State Nittany Lions come to town, rekindling what was once one of the biggest rivalries in the country. It’s now known as the “Keystone Classic” but literally no one will ever call it that.
- Pitt can finally focus on Penn State game
- The game will be broadcast on ESPN nationwide.
- Tim Benz: Penn State week finally here
- Most memorable games of Pitt-Penn State rivalry
- Every game in the history of the rivalry
- Nicole Auerbach: Pitt, Penn State set for ‘big game’ that’s become rare
- Cardiac Hill: Pitt-Penn State returns after length absence
KNOW YOUR ENEMY:
- Good, bad and ugly from Penn State’s 33-13 win against Kent State
- Penn State QB Trace McSorley makes an admirable debut
- Penn State opens up as underdog
- It’s #PittHateWeek at PSU (Read the comments)
- Sam Ross Jr. on the way the rivalry once was
- Which Pitt recruits will be at the game?
- Penn Live: Pitt to close practices; players barred from speaking to media
- John Dudley: Finally, Pitt’s players allow themselves to focus on Penn State
- Craig Meyer: Narduzzi wants no distractions
— Bob Pompeani (@KDPomp) September 5, 2016